First a little background on Midway cabinets. After doing some quick research I found out that Galaxian, and Pac-Man cabinets are both exactly identical. However although similar looking, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, & Bosconian are all of the same Midway style cabinets, but are slightly different than Pac-Man and Galaxian. Also Rally-X is very similar except it's a little less deep. When I first picked up the Galaxian cabinet it was more of a hybrid. The machine had Galaga '88 side art, a Galaga glass bezel, with the rest of the parts being Glaxian. The machine was already painted black and the Galaxian art work underneath was too far gone to recover. I decided that I've always wanted a Pac-Man, and since it shares the same cabinet style I might as well convert the Galaxian to Pac-Man.
When I first picked up the cabinet this is what it looked like: To start with the restoration I first removed the "Galaga '88" side art with a scrapper. Next I applied some paint stripper and removed all of the black paint along with the remaining "Galaxian" original sideart underneath. Began to sand the cabinet down once it was clean enough I was able to prime. In between the coats of primer I used 320 grit sandpaper.
A while ago I was able to obtain a N.O.S. (New Old Stock) original Pac-Man marquee from a KLOV member. I knew that I would eventually use the marquee for my future Pac project. Being that it was just about 30 years old the paper backing was stubborn to get off so I needed to use water, and goo-gone.
I noticed that after removing the Galaxian marquee, I was going to need to add a light source. Usually Pac-Man and other Midway games during the early 80's had incandescent bulbs. I was told from a member on BYOAC to just add a flourescent under counter light from walmart which was only about $7.00. Since the existing wiring was still intact, I was able to use that and add the fluorescent. This was a cheaper alternative, and saves more energy than traditional incandescents. Also the fluorescent evenly distributes the light behind the marquee.
Next I started to work on the Midway coin door. The coin slots were painted over black and shouldn't of been, so I removed them and cleaned them up. Also the coin mechs, the reject buttons were also painted black, so I cleaned those up also using paint stripper.After removing majority of the parts on the coin door; I used more paint stripper, and then revealed the bare metal, sanded, primed and then used "textured black" paint.
I bought the control panel fully populated from a KLOV member. When I got the control panel it had the usual paint wear, and needed a new control panel overlay. Again the same process was used with the paint stripper / primer / paint.
Added the glass bezel, the PCB of course,completed control panel, NOS marquee, new orange T-molding and after the stencils have been completed my Pac-Man is just about finished!